Comparison: China Glaze Red Satin vs. Winter Berry, and Glistening Snow vs. Fairy Dust

Saturday, November 03, 2012


Good morning, dear readers! :D

Today I have a couple of comparisons to show you.  When I was looking at the bottles of polishes from the new China Glaze Holiday Joy collection, I saw some similarities between other CG polishes in my collection.  So I wanted to show you Red Satin vs. Winter Berry, and Glistening Snow vs. Fairy Dust, so that you can see the similarities and differences between them.

First up: Red Satin and Winter Berry



(Bottle shots: Winter Berry on the left, and Red Satin on the right.)

I am wearing Red Satin on my thumb, index and middle fingernails, and Winter Berry on my ring and pinky nails.  Both are at two coats.





As you can see, they are very similar in colour, but Winter Berry is a touch darker.  I also find that it is also more sheer than Red Satin, and it was less even when brushed on.  If I had to suggest one, I would say to go with Red Satin (although I love the name Winter Berry!!).  It is more opaque than the other, and I found that Winter Berry would bleed onto my top coat brush, whereas Red Satin did not.

Now for Glistening Snow and Fairy Dust



(Bottle shot: Fairy Dust on left, and Glistening Snow on right.)

I am wearing Fairy Dust on my pointer nail, and Glistening Snow on my middle nail (both at two coats, over China Glaze Red Satin).






While the two are made with the same type of holographic glitter and look very close in the bottle, that is where the similarities end.  Once on the nail you see how packed Glistening Snow is with the tiny glitters.  As it has more glitter, GS is more rough to the touch compared to Fairy Dust and it dries quicker.  I like them both the same amount because of their differences, as they can both be used for many looks.  So if you only want one, it just comes down to how opaque you want the glitter to be.  :)

I hope that these comparisons were helpful to someone, and if you want to see any more comparisons, just let me know!! :D  If I have the polishes you want compared, I will try to accommodate your request. :)

Have a wonderful weekend, my friends!! :D

-Ashesela ;)

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. The two reds above ALMOST look identical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally see the resemblance, but I think I like the darker, more opaque red creme. They're both gorgeous though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're all gorgeous - and so, so wonderfully suited to the holiday season. I especially like Winter Berry, both the hue and the name really appeal to me.

    Happiest weekend wishes, dear gal!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comparisons, Ash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, thank you, I did wonder about the two glitters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ GoingtotheShowing: They really do!! :D

    @ JennaFroggy: Me too!! :D I love how sparkly it is (and I adore the name!) :D.

    @ Amanda: I’m glad you like them!! :D

    @ Jessica Cangiano: Thank you so much!! :D I hope you had a wonderful weekend :D.

    @ drinkcitra: My pleasure!! :D

    @ Maribeth: Thank you so much!! :D

    @ Rainbowify Me: YAY!! :D Glad I could help! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the look of both of them but I think I like fairy dust more

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for comparing Glistening Snow and Fairy Dust. I saw them in store this weekend, and wavered back and forth on purchasing because in the bottle they look very similar. GS looks a bit darker to me but not much. I hate to bring something home and find I have something else that's identical so I ended up not picking it up. It's nice to know that they're different after all :) I may have to run back out and get GS now, lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here it is 2014, & still this post is very relevant lol. I specifically 'googled' Glistening Snow v/s Fairy Dust...& here it be! I don't know if CG could ever make suitable replica's of these 2 polishes, thanks for the comparison!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! :D