Monday, October 07, 2013

The Japanese Konjac Sponge Puff Review

Good morning, dear readers! :D

Recently I was very fortunate to receive two products from The Japanese Konjac Sponge: two konjac puffs, one in Cherry Blossom and the other in Green Tea.  I wanted to wait to do this review, but I just couldn't, because I love it so much!!  I've only used this for about a week, but with great results! :D



(I forgot to take a photo of the Green Tea packaging before it was thrown-out :()

The Japanese Konjac Sponges are made from konjac fibres, and is re-constituted for a gentle face wash and scrub.






The Cherry Blossom sponge has cherry leaf essence infused into the konjac, and the Green Tea sponge has green tea powder mixed in with the konjac.  The added ingredients are meshed into the konjac fibres, and do not rinse away.  They also have more varieties: the White version (plain konjac), Wild Mint, Bamboo Charcoal, and Citrus Fruit.

 (This box is for the Cherry Blossom one, so that is why it lists the Cherry Leaf essence as an ingredient.)


Before now I had never used a konjac sponge before, and stumbled across them on a blog I was following.  I was immediately very curious!

Konjac is a plant native to eastern Asia, like a potato, and is used for both food and cosmetic purposes.  (It also goes by the name Devil's Tongue, and I have actually eaten konjac noodles before... very interesting and healthy! :D)

Konjac!!  (Not my image)

The product comes in its dry form, which you add warm water to until it becomes soft and squishy.


 Dry puff!



 Here you can see the size in comparison to my hand.


 I put the puff in a small bowl with warm water for the first time I used it (when it was completely dry)


 Wet puff!


Another size reference, this time of the puff when it is wet.

After gently squeezing the sponge to remove excess water, you slowly work the sponge on your skin in circles to cleanse the face.  (The sponge is gentle enough to use on your eye area and neck.)

You can use the konjac sponge without cleanser or with it (if you have makeup on I would suggest using a makeup remover first and then using the konjac sponge).  I have used it both ways, and find that both work fabulously!! :D

Here is a great page on how to use a Konjac Sponge or Konjac Puff (the puff is rouned for face use while the sponge is larger for face and body use).

I rarely wear makeup, but despite that I was a bit sceptical about the sponge being able to cleanse my skin without any added soap.  How wrong I was!!

This beauty made my skin feel so fresh and clean, but at the same time it left a light film on my skin (which may sound gross to some, but I promise it is not!!), and kept it feeling hydrated.  What also really impressed me was the immediate difference in how my skin looked after using the konjac sponge: dewy, clean and fresh.

I used the Cherry Blossom Konjac Sponge, and my sister has been using the Green Tea Konjac Sponge.  She also really enjoys it, and has noticed a definite difference in the quality of her skin (better clarity, less flaking, a dewy finish).

Before and after each use, you rinse the sponge several times and squeeze gently, then you can hang the sponge up to dry with the added cord (gently squeeze as much of the water out as you can, doing so roughly can damage the sponge).

Here are some care tips for the sponge:
It's important to always rinse the sponge with just clean running water after using it. Using clean hands, press the sponge gently in between palms to drain water out. Do not twist, squeeze, or press the sponge too hard as it may damage the sponge. Hang the sponge in a well-ventilated area to dry it. Do not expose the sponge to direct sunlight and do not leave the sponge in humid place for hygienic reason. Alternatively, keep the sponge in a container and store it in a refrigerator."

You can also use boiling water to de-germ your sponge.  I've also read on other konjac websites that some of them you can microwave for 1 minute (the sponge has to be wet and you can't over-cook it or else it may burn).

The website says that the sponge can last from 4-6 weeks, but some people can make theirs last for longer.  Once it starts to break down, you should replace it.

I would give this product a big 5/5!!!  I seriously love it, and now I don't think I can go back to the way I washed my face before.  This makes my skin look and feel amazing, and it is really comforting to use (a warm, soft sponge massaging your face :D).

Have you tried using konjac sponges or puffs before?

Have an amazing day! :D

-Ashesela

22 comments:

  1. Great review and tips, thanks for sharing! The fact that they're infused with other botanicals is interesting... I may have to find one and test it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! :D I definitely suggest giving one a go!! :)

      Delete
  2. I used to use the konjac sponge too! Let me know the longevity of your sponge my dear~ because I found that after awhile, it starts to break xD am i too rough!

    <3 Celly
    TheSnowFlowerrr - Beauty and Makeup Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let you know how well mine lasts :). I love how well they work!! :D

      Delete
  3. Wow these sound really neat! I've never heard of these before!
    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are awesome!!! :D If you get a chance to, you should really give them a try!! :D

      Delete
  4. Reading your review , i love it and want it so bad, i would like tea tree one..
    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you are interested in them! :D I really highly recommend them! :D

      Delete
  5. ay nena, no lo había visto nunca! qué descubrimiento! ya contarás cómo van a la larga. bss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me encanta este producto! : D Si alguna vez tienes la oportunidad de probarlo, lo recomiendo! :) Gracias por venir a mi blog!

      Delete
  6. These look so interesting - I haven't heard of sponges with a stay in scent like this - its a great idea. I sure would like one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really great!! :D They don't really have much of a scent, but since they are infused with different plants, they have some added skincare benefits :D

      Delete
  7. Nice sponge is super cute :) Love to follow each-other dear? Let me know

    http://pazzadimoda.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! :D Sure, following each other would be great! I am following your blog now :)

      Delete
  8. What?? These are so cool! I can't believe I've never heard of these! They look and sound like a great way to cleanse yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so awesome!!! O_O I highly recommend them! :D

      Delete
  9. This is a new fave product of mine! I got one in my Julep box last month and fell in love with it. I'm so happy to see that I have other options :D Thank you for sharing, this was an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! :D I am really glad you liked my review! :D
      Aren't konjac sponges wonderful??

      Delete
  10. Wow! I have never seen this but it looks interesting, I am all for trying new beauty products.

    http://diaryofatrendaholic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of this before, but it sounds really interesting! I love to try new things so I might just have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you choose to try one, definitely let me know your opinion on it!! :D

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! :D

Products I'm Really Enjoying Right Now

Good afternoon, dear readers! Today's post is about some of products that I've been enjoying lately!  Swatches (where applicable) ...