Friday, August 09, 2013

Born Pretty Store Acrylic Powder and Mold Review


Good afternoon, dear readers!

Today I have a review of a few products that were sent to me by Born Pretty Store.

I was sent this lovely set of acrylic powders:



There are 18 different acrylic powders in this set.  When I first opened the package there was some powder that had 'leaked' on the different pots, but I wiped that up before I took photos.  

I am not a fan of the screw on lids for these pots, as they collect powder in the ridges and when you open them the powder can fall out.  For that reason I would suggest using a piece of paper or something under the pots when you open them.  

Other than that, there isn't that much product in each pot, but to be honest this whole set costs less than $10, and I am not complaining! :D You get a wonderful set of different colours, and enough product of each to try them out and see how you like them.  (Tip: this set does not come with the fluid needed to mix with the acrylic powder, so you have to either order that separately or provide your own.  I knew this before getting it, and already had my own fluid)

As someone who doesn't do the standard acrylic nail, I really like having this set for adding accents to my nail art!!  :D

I was also sent these two 3D art acrylic molds:


One is for making bows, and the other for making stars and moons:


These are fantastic!! :D  They are made from a flexible and durable material (silicone maybe?), and they work really well!  They are also inexpensive and very easy to clean.


Here are some decorations I made using the molds and the powdered acrylic:


I find that the acrylic powder, when combined with my current acrylic fluid, dries a bit slower than the powder I already owned.  Also I find it a bit more 'goopey'.  However, it is a very fine powder, and didn't produce excess grit when mixing.  The colours are vibrant and beautiful, and I look forward to making more accents with them :D!

Here are some of the bows I made:


I waited too long to be able to scrape away the excess acrylic from the molds (sometimes when it has begun to set but not completely hardened you can scrape your nails around the edges to help remove the excess), so I used a blade to cut around the edges of the individual bows.  The bow on the bottom isn't finished, so it looks more rough.

Here is a set of nails I did using the moons and stars as accents:


And here I am wearing them (forgive the middle nail, I cannot get a good match of false nails to fit the dimensions of my middle finger nail):


The glitter on the stars was added after, as the acrylic powders do not contain glitter.

My final verdict?  All of these products are great!! :D

The molds work really well and will last me quite a while, and the acrylic powder sets nicely and has a great range of colours.  Although the pots aren't full to the top I think that the amount you get is perfect for testing out what colours you like, and for making accents for nails.

I hope in the future I can get more acrylic powder and molds.

I also think I will mix some of my translucent acrylic powder (that I already had) with these colours, to make them more pale and help them last longer.  I will let you know how that goes! :D

Use the code CBJ61 for 10% off any Born Pretty Store order.

Have a wonderful day!!

-Ashesela

15 comments:

  1. What a great review! Never tried acrylic powder so this was super awesome to see. You made some really cute bows and stars using those molds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Lisa N: Thank you so much!!! :D They are so fun to make and use!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, that is really really neat! I love how you can make your own decorations. The star nails are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks fun! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so how did you turn the powder into your nail ? whatttt

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ MesiaszCiszy: Thank you very much!!! :D

    @ Sarah Lynn: Thank you so much Sarah!!! :D I am going to have so much fun with these!! :D

    @ Meredith Anne: Thank you Meredith!! :D!

    @ drinkcitra: Thank you so much!! They were really fun to make :D!

    @ Sophie-Pearl: I had the false nails, and for the decorations I used the acrylic powder with acrylic fluid and mixed them together :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Mel Giandzi: Thank you so much, Mel!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a dreamy, immensely pretty manicure! The blue polish makes for the perfect backdrop atop which to place your darling handmade stars. Love!!!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Jessica Cangiano: Thank you so much for the lovely comment, Jessica!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow this is so freaking cool! and that mani is insanely gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow. I didn't know this was even possible. COOL!! Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to try their molds! They seem really awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! :D

Products I'm Really Enjoying Right Now

Good afternoon, dear readers! Today's post is about some of products that I've been enjoying lately!  Swatches (where applicable) ...